Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Blizzcon 2011 - No Varian Wrynn

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I can finish the Varian Wrynn costume in time for Blizzcon.

There are so many little details left to make plus the wonderflex I was waiting on to finish the shinguards and build the bracers hasn't arrived. The biggest reason is there is a lot of painting to be done and no time for it to dry or cure.

So I'm going to have to save this costume for next year, on the plus side that gives me a twelve months to finish it.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Varian Update - Knee and Shoulder Harness 2

The lion faces for the Knee part of the shin armor are being primed, they will need a coat or two more before sanding.

The harness to hold the shoulder armor in place is nearing completion. I need to trim the outer part of the shoulders so it doesn't interfere with the way the armor sits. Then I need to add rings to fix the armor to the harness.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Varian Update - Shalamayne and Armor Prime

I have begun painting Shalamayne. I rigged my mini-paintbooth with a base so the blade can stand up. The photo is after two coats of silver spray paint.

The shoulders are primed, need to sand them smooth and start painting. I think I will go with a blue spray paint base and a dark yellow spray trim. Once the base coasts are on, I'll put in details with light blue and lighter yellow and gold for the highlights.

The breastplate is also primed and ready for sanding. I know I want to go with a dark blue base coat, then various levels of silver on the highlights, but I'm not sure if it will be spray paint or acrylics. I plan to use the same techniques for the gold trim on the armor as I use on the shoulder.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Varian Update - Belt 5

I did a lot of sanding over the weekend, I didn't take many photos of the sanded items, but I do have this nice pic showing the leather portion of the belt with the primed buckle. The leather will be stained a darker brown, fur trim needs to be attached to the top and bottom, and of course finishing the paint job on the buckle.

I should have more pictures up soon.