Tuesday, August 21, 2012
It took a while to sand down the resin coating on the floating part of Shalamayne's blade. I think I learned enough to apply it better on the main part of the sword.
Now I'm ready for the primer coat on the floating blade. So to help with that I created a stand from a dowel and a scrap of wood. There is going to quite a bit of filling I'll need to do on the blade surface due to the uneven nature of the resin coat, but the increased strength should make it worth while.
Monday, August 6, 2012
I finally had time to test coating part of the foam blade with casting resin. The worry had been that the foam blade could be easily damaged by light impact, so I wanted to try adding some strength to the surface.
I mixed up a tiny amount of casting resin and painted it onto the "floating" part of Shalamayne's blade. This piece is small enough to work on, and small enough to be replaced if I messed it up. The plastic sets quickly, so the surface isn't perfect, but I think I got the hang of it.
The next step is to sand it smooth, prime and paint. I want to be sure it will look perfect before I apply the same to the main sword blade.
But even given that, the foam does feel much stronger.